Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What Do I Know About Beads?

I belong to an artists' group where a small number of us have agreed to take one topic a week and post on it. There is no particular rhyme or reason, is just another tool for those of us who would like help with ideas and posting on a regular basis.

So, this weeks topic is beads. My first dip into the bead world began a couple years ago. I was visiting my best friend Liz, in Raleigh, NC. Liz and I are die hard shoppers! We live four hours apart & when we get together our visits are a whirlwind of shopping. But, no malls for us.

We hit every antique store, thrift store, flea market, junk store, "interesting shops we've seen and put on our list to visit one day" kind of store we can find.

On this particular visit Liz told me about a recent new shop called she'd heard about, called Panopolie. As always, I'm game and said "let's go"! This is a store that oozes vintage charm with an extremely friendly and helpful staff.
http://www.panopolie.com/

Having never been in a bead store before I found myself on sensory overload! Liz and I were soon buying beads and findings and heading back to her house to makes ourselves each a necklace.

What fun we had. We sat on her porch, talking and laughing and beading, enjoying our "best friends time", a time out of our usual shop til we drop days. And while my necklace wasn't perfect, my beads are beautiful.

Now I find myself actually buying beads when I'm out and about. Since I'm not much of a jewelry wearer I buy beads to add to my work. I love the additional dimension and color they give my work. I have found a seller on Etsy, Mamastaub, who makes some really cool and different handmade polymer beads I keep an eye on.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=45262 Check out her noodle beads and handmade buttons!

So while I still don't know much about beads, I have fallen in love with them and buy them and enjoy using them! I figure all I have to know is.... do I like it?

1 comment:

PG Cork said...

Sounds like fun!

Penny :)