Thursday, February 15, 2007

Top Hat Fairy

I love words. People who know me will probably agree but more likely in terms of "she talks to much". ;-) For many years now I've been having a love affair with the word juxtaposition. Which loosely translated means to place side by side in unexpected combinations. It is a good word to express my style.....if I actually have one. I think it's the old leather and lace syndrome.

And so, in the creating of this assemblage fairy, I loved the idea of not giving her a crown but a top hat to go with her pink tulle skirt. Mixing the casualness of vintage brown pom poms with pearls. Hand painted roses mixed with stripes. A proper young fairy on her way to a ball, with just a touch of the unexpected.

I'm putting her up for auction tonight on Ebay. I'm having a hard time letting this one go so I'm debating with myself on whether to put a reserve on her. Hmmm....I guess I won't know until I actually list her. :-) Check her out on Ebay for more pictures.


8 comments:

Garden Painter Art said...

Oh, I love the unexpectedness of this doll!! Juxtaposition is a fabulous word, isn't it! Surreal, unexpected, clashing in a good way!! That's exactly what I love about collaging. I can take elements from different times and places and put them together in a new world. Things that were never meant to be together IRL.

And... by the way, I love top hats! I've used them many times in my collages. Especially on my mini Schnauzer Jr.

And for what it's worth: If I were you, I would put a reserve on this doll. Lately, eBay has been even more unpredictable than usual.

Good Luck with the doll. I hope you get a really great price out of her. She's awesome.

Kim
Garden Painter Art
gnarly-dolls

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Thanks so much Kim! I know what you mean about the reserve and I debated long and hard about it and I'll probably be sorry but I didn't do it. *sigh*

Penny Cork said...

Ooh, she's got so much texture! I love that, when I can 'see' how something 'feels!' Wonderful work, Gail!

Penny :)

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Thanks Penny. I myself am a texture-aholic! ;-)

Altered Kat said...

Now that is cool!...I love the dress and top hat!...very unique & original...BRAVO! Best of luck with it!

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Thanks Kat! Fingers crossed. :-)

Sam I Am said...

this is ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!!!!! How Cute!!!!! Gosh girl..you're making me DROOL :) :) :)
Make a bunch more..these are gonna go like HOTCAKES!!!!! LOVE IT :)
hugs..sandy

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Sandy you're a "DOLL"!!! ;-) Thanks mucho mucho!