Thursday, February 8, 2007

Truth and Fairy Friends

It seems it was my week to suggest topics this week in both the groups I choose to share posts with. So I took the easy way out. Actually I just thought that since the idea was such a good one it could only get better to do times two. ;-) The topic was chosen and then we are supposed to create an art project to go with it. I have one done and am working on the other.

The first topic is the word Truth and our interpretation of that word. This creation was a little backwards from the way I usually find inspiration. I went looking for a quote that I felt expressed some (certainly not all) my feelings about truth.

"When one has one's hand full of truth, it is not always wise to open it." French Proverb


This has been a hard lesson in life for me to learn and one only learned in the past half dozen years. I always believed that if the truth sat in one's mouth, then one must speak it. But I was young, and foolish and often times ignorant in my dealings with people.

I am, I hope, in most part, truthful with myself. I am truthful in my dealings with other people. It is the only way I know how to be, and anyway I have one of those faces that would never survive in a poker game. So my face has never left me much choice in the honesty and truthful arena. ;-)

But I learned through one of the most painful separations from someone near and dear to me, that not everyone wants to hear the truth. And it doesn't matter that time proved me right and that she is now back in my life and has acknowledged that I spoke the truth. What matters is that I should have censored that truth, that it was not "wise to open it" because the truth caused pain all around me...and it was my fault.

So I've learned just because one might know a truth, one does not necessarily have to speak it. Now I'm careful with the truth and I hope that if there comes a time again when I do have to speak a serious truth to someone... that first, I've had time to make sure I really have to speak it and that if I do, I do so with as much compassion as I possibly have.


Fairy Friends
Now on to something a bit lighter...;-)

This is an altered childrens book. If you want to see all the delightful inside pages check out the auction after 7:30 tonight on Ebay.



Front Cover


Back Cover

9 comments:

Deborah said...

You have the most delightful artwork! Love the fact that you have taken to blogging so well. Good going!!!!!!!!!!!

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Thanks so much Deb!

Cris said...

Oh I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog. Your artwork is just gorgeous. I will be visiting more often for sure:-) xoxo

Patti said...

Gail, you are so right!! It's a very delicate thing to know how & when to "speak the truth in love".

Thank you for sharing your heart!!!

Patti
(pholkart*blessings)

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Thanks you so much Patti & Cris! Comments just leave me a warm and fuzzy feeling! ;-)

ltthings said...

Love it , will have to check out your eBay !!! Thanks for sharing .

PG Cork said...

Re: The truth. I've been there. Not much else to say, but, I'm sure that you did your best.

Penny :)

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

We try don't we Penny. :-)

Gail said...

I agree with the proverb on your art piece. I opened my hand at a 2003 Family Xmas Dinner party & learned a great lesson. It was my Mother's final party & I lost my entire family for speaking the truth about death! So now I clinch my fist when I feel prompted to open it & walk away with my mind screaming at those who are in denial. Thanks for this topic. I hope to have my mini altered quilt art piece done this weekend!