Saturday, March 31, 2007

The word is Process

Our weekly artist's group word is PROCESS. Egads, this is a hard one for me. I had to look up the definition of the word process, because while I might use it in a sentence...it's not a word I would normally think about. I thought about "processing information" and I thought about the "process of creating art".

But when I looked up the word this is what jumped out at me, "a natural phenomenon marked by gradual changes that lead toward a particular result."

I had a conversation this week with my mom about age. She and my dad are 75 & 77. They are smart, retired self-employed business owners, in good health and do for themselves in all ways. But the other day my dad asked my mom to get on the speaker phone with him, as he had to call a company's customer service for information and he needed her to help him understand what the person on the other end told him. Not because he is feeble minded, dumb or hard of hearing. Here is what he told the customer service rep. "young lady, you are good with giving me the information I need, but you talk so fast I can't understand what that information is." My mom said, old age is hard, these young people all seem to speak so fast.

I had my own call to a customer service department just that morning. For me these days it is a dreaded call. Why do I dread them? Because anymore what I usually get, no offense to anyone, is a person usually in their 20's or 30's who talk at the sound of light, or someone with an unintelligible accent because my customer service call ended up in someplace that is not of my native language. Or I get someone who must really dislike their job. How can I tell? Ummm, I think it's the sarcastic/snotty attitude I get from them the moment I ask a question that starts with "why" or "I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying". Or "I'm sorry can you slow down so I can understand you". And, oh lordy, heaven help my blood pressure when I reach someone who has all three of these wonderful customer service attributes.

So, between my own frustrating call, and listening to my mom's frustration I realized something.....process to me this week means aging. Day to day living is a natural phenomenon marked by gradual changes that lead to a particular result...and that result is the act of aging and growing old. I have a birthday coming soon and I laughingly told my mom, I think maybe I've finally crossed that line somewhere between being middle aged and finally becoming old, because I think young people talk to fast too and a lot of times I can't understand a word they're saying either and I feel that technology has left me in the dust, and I still haven't a clue about mp3's or ipods. ;-)

3 comments:

Felicia said...

It certainly is a challenge these days to deal with any customer service on the phone. I've had many of the same experiences you mention. Most of the time however I end up with a machine and trying to get it to understand what I want is truly impossible!

I found your site through the etsy blog thread.

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

LOL, Felicia, I just dont' know why those machines can't understand us! ;-)

Thanks for visiting, I appreciate it.

Garden Painter Art said...

This is a great post for the word "process". I think it is telling for so many people. I'm 43, and I still consider myself fairly young. BUT...I know exactly what you mean about fast talking, impatient, snotty customer service people. It truly does seem to be a new generation attitude.

Kim
Garden Painter Art
gnarly-dolls