Sunday, July 29, 2007

Road Trip



Have you ever heard of the World's Longest Yard Sale?

"It always starts on the first Thursday in August and has been called "the mother of all garage sales", the "127 sale", the "endless yard sale", "the 127 Corridor Sale" and plenty of other far-reaching and unbelievable titles, but the World's Longest Yard Sale is what it is best known as. "

The "Longest Yard Sale" began as a way to lure travelers away from the Interstates and into the rural communities. The small communities wanted to prove they had something to offer tourists too. http://www.127sale.com/

Apparently this has been going on since 1987 but it wasn't until 2000 that I heard of it. Two Florida friends of mine were going and invited me along but alas, I had a shop, and at the time no one to available to watch it for me. But I have wanted to experience if first hand ever since.

I started to hear more of this wonderful sounding way to spend a long weekend and I even saw it on HGTV. Then we moved to Tennessee, only a four hour drive from the 127 Corridor, a main road of the 450 miles. My best friend Liz and I did the "we should go..." bit and then left it at that.

This year during a visit over the holidays we decided to stop saying, "we should go", and made concrete plans. So we rushed to the computer, poured over the map, determined a route and made reservations for a "command post".

So, I've been anticipating and saving my pennies for this trip since January. And now it's finally here! And I'm stoked to say the least. I have no idea what to expect, except heat and crowds. But for the sake of the "hunt", spending quality time one on one with my sister/friend, and the possibilty of finding some good deals, it will all be worth it. I'm taking my camera and will report back with pictures. :-)

So come Wednesday I'm headed West and then North and possibly even South. :-)

2 comments:

Sam I Am said...

oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have a GREAT time..and take PICS for us!!!!! HOW FUN!!!!! i wanna come toooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Kristin Hubick said...

I'm SOOOO jealous! I'm sure you find some GREAT stuff!!!!!