Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Close up in the Studio

Are you like me? The studio is never organized enough? Always looking for something you know you have but can't find it? Do you find it frustrating? I do...because it slows down my creative time as I spend that time looking for things. And not always finding them!

And now that I have an online store and carry inventory I think it's worse. I must know where everything is in order to fill orders, and fill them as quickly as possible. So, I've been toying with the idea of re-organizing my studio. Yet again.

When I told my husband this, he gave me the old evil eye. Poor dear. I can not begin to tell you how many organizations over the years I have involved him in. Between borrowing his muscle and using his woodworking skills, it's no wonder he gave me the evil eye. ;-)

So for now I'm just thinking about what I need, want and absolutely can not live without. With these thoughts in mind I picked up Cloth Paper Scissors new special issue magazine this weekend, called Studios. I was looking for inspiration. And believe me there is plenty of studio eye candy here!



Don't I just wish I had some of these spaces! The size of some of these studios! Oh my. The little studio I call my own is about 9x12 with a closet, two windows side by side that take up most of one wall, and two doors on two different walls that use up valuable wall space. But it's mine. All mine. I can close the door at night on whatever mess I've made and not worry about it. So I do the best of using what I have and call it a blessing because I know not everyone can have their own separate space for a studio.

I've posted pictures of my little studio here before but I thought this time I'd share some close up pictures of where I do the bulk of my work. Who knows what might happen when I get down to the re-organizing. ;-)

Okay, picture this...my basic work table is L shaped and the short part of the L is to my left while I work at the long part of the L. Got it? :-) Next to the small part of the L I have a small chest of drawers. I'm going to start there, moving to my right, around the table.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This chest of drawers butts right up to one of those space eating doors I mentioned. And I do mean butted! Packed right against the door frame. I had DH make me a box with pull out shelves for my larger papers. I stacked a shelf on top of that and these shelves hold miscellaneous "stuff' and my glitters. Drawers purchased to hold various and sundry items because I don't know where else to put them. A plastic hinged box and a papier mache box filled with laces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next (still moving to the right, but to the left of where I sit) is my workhorse corner. More hinged boxes with ribbons and laces. shelves to hold boxes of buttons and findings and little embellishments and such. Punches, die cutting machine, tins holding dies and scrap chipboard. My Xyron (which I love), a bird tin holding my colored pencils, and a couple plastic containers for "little left over stuff I don't know where to put". You can also see part of my paper cutter. It stays right there and I do all my cutting in that one spot. I prefer guillotine cutters but am not satisfied with this one. The one I want is very expensive so I make do. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a shelf right above the area I just showed you. More ribbon, fibers, and large rolls of paper and my freezer wrap for when I want to print on fabric.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then in the corner are more drawers. I bought three of these at the Dollar store for $6.00 each. The top five drawers hold most of my images and are labelled , flowers, birds, people ephemera, transparencies/stickers etc. The bottom four drawers hold stamps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Collage packs I'm working on getting together for the store and requests. This corner gets really messy with papers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a close up of the nifty tool caddy (above) my friend Liz bought me for Christmas one year. It holds my heat gun, spray cleaner, a tall bottle of glue, two sizes f forceps (great for putting those fairies in jars) my bone folder, straight edge scissors, pens, pencils. hold punches, two kinds of tweezers which I use all the time for picking up or holding those tiny things my fingers are to big for. And my trusty craft knife for which I need to buy stock in the company that sells blades!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This funky little contraption is a close up of what you see in the above picture. It's a small lazy Susan about 5 inches in diameter. I told my DH that I sometimes needed to get things up where I can see better (great when I'm working on an art doll or putting a fairy in a jar). This is what he invented for me. Not only does it allow me to get things up higher, it spins so I can see all sides. And it's great place to lay things when I'm in a creative frenzy and don't have time to put things away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, the next 3 pictures is the wall right in front of where I sit. Again, a myriad of small things that I like within easy reach. Glues, tools, decorative scissors, eyelet setter, my ATG gun etc, . But I really want an inspiration board hanging above me so I have to put my thinking cap on for this area.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And to my right always a telephone book and an old hotel door card (could be a credit card). the telephone book (I save them) is where I lay things to glue, then I just rip the wet glue page off and toss. The card I reach for far more often than my bone folder for smoothing and folding things.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last but not least is a rolling drawer cart that fits under my table perfectly. Ink pads in the top drawer, two drawers of papers and two drawers of different size chipboard. The top compartments are great for my markers and ink sponges. It actually sits under the table and to my left where I can just reach down and open a drawer or rolls out conveniently to get to my markers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's it. A little corner of my creative world. I hope you enjoyed the tour.

xoxo







7 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Gail! Your space is WONDERFUL!! I'm scared to take photos of mine...maybe a cleanup day is in order. I love everything and especially your sliding drawer caddy! xxoo, Dawn

Sarah B. B. said...

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that - I must say that the phone book & hotel key are awesome ideas that I will be borrowing in the near future - thank you!

Susan said...

Gail,
Thanks for sharing your space - I love seeing where artists work. I,too, just bought that magazine. It's great. I need to redo my room as well, but don't know where to start, so I just usually start another project instead! I use the phone book and credit cards too - also old magazines if we have them. Love always having a clean space to glue.
Susan

bonniebluedenim said...

Gail, I love it all....and you have given me some great ideas....off to study it some more.thanks
donna

Mercedes said...

I´ve got my magazine from Cloth and Papers just some day ago.I was really waiting for it because I like to have my room organized and clean, grrr,difficult. It´s looks like you have enough place to yourthings, not always possible with family lol.

Sherry/Cherie said...

I bought that issue of CPS too and would love it if my work area looked like any of those...or that I had the actual room space. I'm still "sharing" -- oldest will be home for the summer from Uni on the weekend so he's in that room which means some juggling on my part.

Your work area looks good to me...it's much tidier than mine!!!

Tammy said...

Gail, your space is full of goodies! i need a rolling cart like the last picture shows. I am constantly making a mess cuz' I have to pll out so many elements to create with and cleanup is so time consuming. Thanks for sharing!
Tammy