Thursday, April 24, 2008

How do you do it?

Are you old enough to remember Jim Croce? Bad, Bad Leroy Brown? I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song? Operator? Time in a Bottle? Croces was a singer/songwriter who died much to young and these songs are all old favorites of mine as I was a definite Croce fan. There is a line from Time in a Bottle that goes:

"there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them".

It's the way I often feel. I was recently asked "do you have a best time when you feel creative?" My answer was, "Yes, when I'm doing other things." :-)

I've spent the past year working on my Etsy store and my website store and I haven't been in my studio as much I as I would like. Building a website presence takes a lot of your time so those of you opening your stores remember that. ;-) I am not a nay sayer... in fact I'm one of those people who, if you tell me I can't do it...I'll do my darndest to prove you wrong. But it is not the simple "build it and they will come" theory some people want to subscribe to. It takes a lot of time and energy.

So I've not joined in a lot of swaps or round robins or blog parties or participate in challenges. And sometimes it has felt like, ahhh gee, everyone is having fun outside playing and I'm cooped up in the house. LOL I often wonder how does everyone do it? How do you find the time to be in so many groups, join in so many fun swaps, and blog parties and challenges? And raise kids and work a day job and take care of the house and everything that goes with that? Where in the heck do you get the time, let alone the energy???

So with these thoughts all rolling around in the back of my little pea brain I decided to just make the time, I feel like I NEED some play time or I might just begin to lose myself!

I belong to a group called Mixed Media and Paper Art over at Etsy Cottage Style on the Ning network and I discovered my friend Sherry of espritdart has created that little play time where I can start. We now have a Friday Fun Challenge and Prompt. This is a place where a challenge is posted, a theme issued and then those of us who want to play can work on this theme and post what we have made for the rest of the group to see. We can make an ATC, a 4x4, greeting card, full canvas, alter a tin, something digital...whatever we feel like doing with the prompt.

So,this week the prompt was Bird. Whoo Hoo, right up my alley! We all love our birds don't we?! Sherry was telling someone else to not "over think" this challenge and so I added that as part of my challenge as I do have tendency myself to sometimes over think creations. Last night I ran into the studio and with no forethought, just reaching for this and that, whatver was close at hand, I started and finished my challenge. And it was so much fun! My muse was so happy! She felt like she was on the playground with all the other kids.

So while
"there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them".
Sometimes you just have to stop and make that time.

So here is my little mirror challenge piece.



I'm pleased enough with it I think I will list it on Etsy.
Ciao Babies

7 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Good for you Gail!!! I love your mirror too ~ it's precious! I love anything bird ~ I like what you did with the bird chipboard. Hope you're doing good. Be sure to keep that muse happy! xxoo, Dawn

Sherry/Cherie said...

Yeah baby..this is exactly what it's all about!!

I loved Jim Croce...and time in a bottle...speaks volumes!!!

I know how much time it takes to get a business off the ground, and it often means giving up other "fun" things...doing a challenge allows your muse a little free range -- in the playground with the other kids as you put it so well!!

And...the bonus? You have something else to put in your etsy!! Glad you were able to come and play Gail and I hope you make it a regular "play date"!

The Rose Cottage said...

Hey Gail :) I already commented on your wonderful art piece in the group, but reading your blog hits home so hard. You said everything I am thinking. How do they do it? Where do they get all the time?
Wish I cold figure it out :)

The Vintage Butterfly said...

Yay, Gail! Your post is so true for me, for many of us, I bet. I had a blast getting my little bird collage piece done too!

Kelly/The Vintage Butterfly Boutique

tales from an O.C. cottage said...

Oh Jim Croce! The picture on his album cover of his darling baby son, after he had died...wow, haven't thought of that in ages.


M

starrynightimpressions said...

Hi Gail,
you have a wonderful blog, and the Jim Croce memory brought back that sad day, I'll never forget when I heard that new, I was in High school and it seemed so earth shattering. His words were and are so touching.
I looooove your idea of using a phone book for your glueing!!! that is genius, I often am looking for something to protect my table with. Would it be alright with you if I blogged about this idea on my blog?
deborah

Sandie R said...

Great Challenge piece and yes I'm old enough to relate to Jim Croce.