Friday, April 18, 2008

TGIF and Another Sign of Spring

We all know that Spring is here when the air starts to warm up , the trees begin to bud and the daffodils and tulips start to bloom. But the other sure sign that Spring will eventually become summer is the grass needs mowed.

We live on a little over an acre of land and have a lot of grass to mow. It usually takes my DH about 2 1/2 hours to mow just one side. He will break the job up into two days. It is the one job I refuse to do. Not because I don't know how to operate a riding lawn mower (I do) or that I just hate mowing grass (I don't) but for the simple fact that I've been married over 20 years to this man and I know him pretty well. And around my house if I "learn" a job...it somehow becomes part of my permanent chores. So I choose to not "learn" how to mow the yard. I have enough chores, thanyouverymuch. ;-)

Last summer, my mom started saying she was going to learn to drive the riding mower and start mowing the yard as it would give her something to do. For the past 15 years mom has also been saying she was going to go get a job, "to have something to do". So we pretty much knew the lawn mowing was not something that would come to pass. (We love ya mama!)

This Spring she has started mentioning mowing the lawn again. I of course love to tease her, and jokingly was saying things like, "it ain't going to happen", I'll believe it when I see it" and "yeah,yeah,yeah,sure".

The other day I happened to look out my living room window and this is what I saw.

My dad, who is 78, giving my mom, who is 75, a rudimentary driving lesson

Mom's grin after I told her she just wanted to make me eat my words.


Ooops, one more thing he forgot to tell her!


And there she goes!!!


She did a darn good job for her first time! And I went in search of some salt to season the words I had to eat. ;-)


Here's your TGIF free image for the week. I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend. I know I will...the weather is going to be beautiful and my BFF is coming for a couple days. OK... gotta go clean house!!

xox

8 comments:

perpetualplum said...

LOL. I love the photos of your mom mowing the lawn. She might even get a job....


...mowing lawns.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Lola Enchanted said...

How sweet!!! I love it! I just love older people who do that stuff! I hope I have her energy when I get alittle older!!!!

CEDAR JUNCTION said...

Your Mom looks pretty cute on that power mower. I stopped mowing the grass when I got tangled up in the swing set. I was on the riding lawnmower and it went up on two wheels. Scared the tar out of me!

The Rose Cottage said...

Woo hooooo you go mom :) Good for her, my mom is just around the same age and I could just can't imagine her doing that. This is such a sweet story Gail.
Hope you have a great time with your friend this weekend.
Lynn

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage said...

Gail ! Your mom and dad are as cute as can be !!! They remind me of my mom and dad ~ You also remind me of me because the same goes here with learning jobs :O)
I love your pictures !!!
xoxo,
Lori

Marilyn said...

How wonderful that you can share your life with your parents. Mine have been gone now for many years. You are a very lucky lady!!
(I Love gardening but rarely mow the lawn) LOL ! !
Take Care!
Marilyn

TiffanyJane said...

Oh goodness, that is too cute! :) My mom {is only 55} and can turn circles around any man I know with her energy and she has always mowed their yard! Thank goodness I take after her with her strength and energy!!
Loved your pics and story, thanks for sharing!
xo Tiff

Sherry/Cherie said...

Oh look at your mother go!!! Just lovely...

As for you -- I'm in the same "boat"...I refuse to "learn" what I know will end up on my plate!!! Maybe it's because we've been married so long?!?!? Hee!!!