Saturday, January 24, 2009

Thank you Mary Jane!

You know, when you are in business for yourself, there is a lot to think about. And marketing is always a top priority, no matter what our private feelings are about marketing. After all, if you can't draw people to your business, then face it, you won't stay open for long.

Some people will disagree with me, but I am not a subscriber to the theory of "build it and they will come". Especially with an Internet business. The only way they will come is if "they" know you are there. And the only way they will know about you is with a lot of hard work which includes networking, marketing and advertising.


But advertising can be very expensive. If you want to put a pretty color picture ad in a national type magazine, you are going to spend, depending on the size of the ad and the magazine, something like $400.00. And that is more than likely about 1/12th of a page. For one ad. For one month. For one magazine. Statistics say that you need to run a magazine ad for approximately 3 to 6 months for people to start to respond to your ad. Which is why I run a text ad in the Online Connections area in Somerset Studio. It fits my budget better. :-)


So. When one receives a free mention of their business somewhere, anywhere, as a business they are (or should be) most grateful. And I want to say here that as a business woman I am honored and most grateful for the mention in the Mary Janes Farm Magazine Dec-Jan. issue. I didn't even know this magazine existed until I started to get orders for glass glitter and some of my customers were kind enough to answer my one check out question: "where did you find us?". That question is so important to a business and I always appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer that question. And doesn't this magazine look scrumptious. I checked it out online and also see that it's founder and creator Mary Jane Butters was in one of the latest "studio" magazines just out. So go, check out her and her magazine. I just may have to subscribe.








So to whoever I owe my thanks for this mention in your article. You have it. Many, many thanks. And thanks to my sweet friend Dawn Edmonson over at The Feathered Nest for sending me a copy of this article.



9 comments:

sherry said...

Gail, what is even nicer than the free word of mouth, tried/tested/loved free advertising is the fact that you acknowledge your thanks and gratitude. It's who you are...and it's what makes a good business -- the attention to detail and the gratitude for the appreciation of service provided.

Susan Tuttle said...

Hi Gail,
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your dear, dear comment. It meant so very much to me.

I love your digital work!

Susan
xo

Jenny S said...

Wonderful!! I gave you an award!! Go check out my blog on Sunday!

Diane said...

Gail, I've been hearing from several of my blogging friends how your video inspired them to get into their studios and revamp them! Me too! I spent yesterday cleaning, organizing and adding some small storage units.
I'll be hanging cupboards from the ceiling next - not much more room in here! LOL!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Looking forward to getting my order.
Diane

Sandie R said...

I love Mary Jane's magazine and have my book seller save each issue for me. I noticed your mention in that issue but with the holidays it got put aside and I didn't get back to post to you. Your mention of it here along with your thanks to the person responsible is just one more sign of your southern thoughtfulness and caring.

Loved your studio tour but can't imamgine how you create in such a small space. People that can amaze me. Love your blog and your studio

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Aww Sandie, thanks!

Marilyn said...

What a wonderful new magazine!! Thanks for sharing!! :)
Love, Marilyn
p.s. I think your blog is stunning!!

NANCY LEFKO said...

That's great !!! Congrats !!

there is a little award for you over at my blog :)

Gina2424 said...

What a cool magazine! Congrats and thanks for your kind words, also!