Thursday, May 28, 2009

End of May

Another month almost done. May is a busy month for us as here in the mountains it is time to put in the vegetable garden, plant flowers and get general yard work done before it starts to get to hot. What's my favorite in the garden? Tomatoes!!!! I am a homegrown tomato freak, enough so that I pretty much don't buy tomatoes in the grocery store because of their singular lack of tomato taste. But come summer, ahhh I am in my glory. I even love the tomato leaf smell on my hands. I eat tomatoes every day while they are growing. Seriously. Tomato on my sandwiches, on my hamburgers, sliced on a plate, sliced with vinegar and a sprinkle of sugar (what? you've never tried it? I learned that one growing up), green fried tomatoes, tomatoes in salad...okay...you get the picture. lol Let's see....our tomato plants numbered 42 this year (don't worry we freeze some). So I guess yes, the lowly tomato. My hero. :-)


Last month I posted about our little shed Mr. Shabby was working on. Well with all the rain and the flood clean up it's been a difficult task to finish. But it's almost there and when it's done I will post a picture. But here is the scene from my kitchen window the other night as I stood washing dishes (yes, I'm still waiting on a dishwasher along with my new kitchen). And I thought, oh how pretty things are starting to look, even only partly done. That little path leads up to my folks house and it gets travelled a lot. :-)


A lot of you know I host the Mind Wide Open Challenge contest every month...and as hostess I don't get to play. In fact I usually don't get to enter a challenge simply because of time issues. But finally! I got to enter one this month! There is a frame challenge going on over at the Etsy Cottage Style blog. It's all about frames......any frame, any style, any medium. Marcela will put up all the entries May 30. Below is my entry. If you like it I think they are voting on the frames after they are put up. And even if you don't like mine I just know they are going to have some beautiful entries so check it out on the 30th. And vote! :-)




Create with Love

6 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

your piece is lovely!!!

good luck!

The Joy of Nesting said...

Hi Gail,

You did a wonderful job with your frame :) I have the 30th on a post it note stuck on the desk so I'll remember to go vote!

You say you like tomatoes... then this would truly be paradise for you and all year round :) Tomatoes and chili/peppers are the cash crops in our state of Sinaloa. So much so that the tomatoe is on the licence plates :) I always buy ours at the local markets and they are sooooooo good!!!!! Even the plum tomatoes are flavorful!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Joy said...

That little shed is fantastic! Eric's going to build me a little garden shed this summer. I am so excited but I'm trying not to think about it too much or I'll start obssessing! LOL

Your challenge piece is gorgeous. I'll be voting! :o)

Nita Jo said...

Gail, I agree about the tomatoes! Love them fresh from the garden. What a great view from your kitchen window. Looks like your folks live close. That's so nice. Oh, before I forget... love the frame you created!

Kyla Hailstone said...

I just discovered your blog from a link on mind wide open. I'm hooked already, keep the "eyecandy" comming!! I love the collage pages. Thank you for sharing your talents!
Kyla
adamandkylahailstone@bresnan.net

The French Bear said...

I love your art work!!! Wonderful! Love those colors!!!
Have you ever grown brown tomatoes? They are so delicious! I get them at the Farmers' Market, but I wish I could grow them.
Margaret B