Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The DIY "bug" spreads


This is more of, how one thing leads to another, post. In a previous post I put up the image of the new chippy aqua cabinet that ended up in my dining room. My dining room that has always had a yellow, red, green and black theme. Well I love my distressed black cabinet and my black china cabinet and they look great with the aqua cabinet and the black toile I used in the door of the cabinet.  But I'm having to remove the red fabric in the china cabinet and the doors of the built in book shelves so I can bring in some accents of that kind of aqua-y/blue color.

And even though yellow goes with the new cabinet color and kitchen walls (that you can see from the DR) it needs to be a pale yellow and my yellow is too strong. And the question became... what to do. I really didn't want to repaint the dining room but when push came to shove I knew I had to do it.  My dining room is the worst room in the house to take pictures so please forgive this one.  It is a sample I did.  You can see some of the yellow.  Above the chair rail I will use a color called Cream in my Coffee...doesn't it sound delish?!  And thanks to my dear friend Lulu of Coastal Sisters who shared her foyer color with me, that is what will go below the chair rail.   I love it!  Thanks sweet Lulu!



Now you have to understand it was never my intention of redoing my dining room. At all!  But (and by now you know there is ALWAYS a but) one simple piece of furniture that I fell in love with has changed everything.  Literally.  Luckily Mr. Shabby is okay with this new DIY project.  His only concern being that I put the stencil design that I did on the yellow wall, back on the new wall.  So that's part of what you see on the image above.  Gail playing with the stencil color.

Now here comes the part that gets me really excited!  I've been wanting a new dining room table ForEVAH!  What we have now has been okay in all our other homes but is so not fitting into the scheme of things in this house.  Blond oak wood  is NOT a cottage look.  But today I found the table that is.  At a steal!!!
So....
I ordered it!!! :-)



Ain't it gorgeous?!
 I only ordered the table.  I already have chairs I've been wanting to paint, once I figure out how I want to do them...hmmm...maybe a little aqua, maybe a little black perhaps?  Oh I'm so excited about this baby.  I can't wait to get it!

The other thing I got excited about was something Mr Shabby did for me.  I really felt I needed a better way to store my fabric.  Every time I pull out something the stacks fall over and I just shove it back in and then it becomes a mess. 

My problem was my studio is so small how could I add something that solved the problem but wasn't a space eater?

And here is what Mr Shabby built for me.  7 feet of cubby holes! 



And only 7 inches deep. We just scooted the cabinet over a tad and it fit right at the
end.


See?  Hardly takes up any room at all.  And I got to reorganize my shelves.  Again.  It is a sickness isn't it?

post signature

5 comments:

Coastal Sisters said...

I am so glad you love the Alexandria Beige paint. I tell you Gail, no matter what other colors you put it with, it works. Thanks for the shout out chickie!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new table and can't wait to see what you do with the chairs you have.

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Charmingdesigns said...

I love that shelf your hubbie made you. It is perfect for your fabric stash...looks like you have room for a f...e...w more pieces.lol.
Love the table

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Thanks ladies! And yes Laurie, I can , ahhmm add some more fabric to the few cubbyholes I left empty. ;-)

Melody said...

Ok you are no fair!!! Ya live where ya do...you now have a beautiful french country farmtable...a fireplace....and just look at the craft area(sob).....I am officially covetous. And, you may hear the hollerin all the way down there cause I'm gonna show Jim what you did. Boy, I am gonna have to say a lot of heavy duty prayers tonight. Seriously, it's really all gonna be gorgeous!

Diane said...

Dear Gail, I just got on to your blog by way of Stampingtons Art Journal magazine. I was rereading it and taking notes and that's how I got here. I love your blog. I don't have photoshop, I'm afraid I couldn't use it. You do wonders with yours, I also love your house, graphics, everything. I'll be back.