Friday, July 31, 2009
I hope everyone has a FANtastic weekend!
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Fabric Collage Wall Hanging
Altered Board Book - Paris theme - polymer clay "tiles" are what you see on the cover
Fabric collaged paper mache box - great for treasures, trinkets or just a pretty way to hide junk!
Monday, July 27, 2009
Friday, July 24, 2009
Ann Butler is teaching a great class for newbies to the world of altered art. It begins Sept. 10 and is called Altered Techniques 101. Ann is bringing you 25...count them...25 techniques to the class! And when you complete the class you will have a wonderful Technique Book to use as a reference guide for Altered Art.
So come on by the Creative Workshops homepage and check out not only the upcoming classes but the ongoing classes already up and running.
And here is your FAB (free ATC background) Friday image. If you like it, take it, use it for whatever you want. If you don't like it come back next Friday because I never know what will come off my digital drawing board. The only thing I do know is they will always be sized at 2.5" x 3.5".
I wish everyone a beautiful weekend!
Friday, July 17, 2009
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Maybe you've seen this sinceI received it in an email from a friend who received it from a friend who received it from a friend...you know how that goes. But I thought for those who haven't seen it, it was absolutely worth sharing here. What a wonderfully wise woman.
Written By Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio "To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me.. It is the most-requested column I've ever written."
My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17.. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood... But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
42. The best is yet to come.
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves.
Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath.
And if you have a friend who makes you laugh, spend lots and lots of time with them.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
I wanted to take a minute and remind those of you interested in online classes that we have two brand new classes starting this month over at Creative Workshops.
Tomorrow (July 15) starts Jodi Ohl's class Fun with Faux Encaustics. I have now seen the videos and you're in for a treat and will learn a lot with Jodi. And you can see a preview video of the class over on Jodi's Sweet Repeats blog . Learn how to give your work the look of encaustics without the expense and learning curve of encaustics. Once you learn Jodi's technique it's an easy next step to applying it to your own work!
Then next week, July 22, we have Martha Lever's Calligra-Fun workshop starting. You can also see a video of some of the wonderful brush lettering you are going to learn in Martha's class over at her Art Du Jour blog. Martha's work is beautiful and delightful, just like Martha with her sweet southern charm. And adding brush lettering to your skills and techniques just opens more doors for another direction of your art!
I'm working on a Photoshop/Photoshop Elements class that will be all about using layers upon layers artistically, not only for your digital work but to enable you to bring it off the computer into your own 3D work!
We have an Altered Art 101 Techniques class coming up at the end of summer, a couple Polymer Clay classes and a Watercolor Batik workshop. So lots to look forward to! :-)
We should have the class listings and start dates up real soon over at Creative Workshops.
That's it for today...hope your week is a great one!
Friday, July 10, 2009
Often I read or hear comments like...my family and friends support me, but they don't understand the feelings and the passion I have for my art. I know so many of us have found those who do understand, here online, and we've made friends, some who unfortunately must always remain virtual, and some who stay and some who come to a fork in the road and some are even lucky enough to become friends in real time. And so it is with me. My family supports me, may brag about me to to others, tell me that what I do is pretty or beautiful or "interesting" and they appreciate totally when I create something for them, but deep in my heart I know they don't always understand what fuels me. (And they love me so they don't have to) But you do. And for that I am also grateful.
So I decided that on Friday's, as a small way for me to repay your kindnesses and friendships and customer loyalty, I would like to give you something. Every Friday until the end of the year I am putting up a Free ATC Background(FAB)(and because you guys are FABULOUS!) that I design digitally and offer no where else but here. If you like it it's yours dear reader...copy it, print it, modify it, change it, use it in your digital work, your 3D work, whatever...you can use it for absolutely anything you want, but it will be ATC sized at creation (2.5" x 3.5").
So here is my first FAB Friday offering. If you like it take it, if you don't, try back next week because I never know what will come off the digital drawing board.:-)
Monday, July 6, 2009
These were a lot of fun to work on to make them look old and shabby-licious! They are hard bound spiral journals filled with lined paper and they measure approximatley 6"x6". A nice size to leave on a table or desk to fill with whatever you fill your journals with...lists, dreams, thoughts, mental meanderings....
The backs and inside are fabric co-ordinated with the front and also the inside front and back cover each has a pocket for storage. Each journal comes with a co-ordinating tag or bookmark.