Sunday, January 24, 2010

Flea Market Chair Makeover


Years and years ago I found 4 of these marvelous rusty chairs at a flea market and filled with excitement, I scooped them right up and got a real bargain too.  They came with no seats or backs and my plan was to re-do them and sell them in the store.  Well you all know about the best laid plans and they never did make it to the store.  Thank goodness.  Because several years ago while they languished in the basement I knew I couldn't sell them and that someday they would be in my kitchen.

Now that we're redoing the kitchen I  finally brought two of these chairs upstairs for the eat in area.  Mr Shabby cleaned them for me, sealed all the rust (of COURSE! I'm leaving the glorious rust) cut seats and backs, yet I couldn't find a fabric I liked locally.  It wasn't until earlier this month on my girls weekend outing when Liz and Karen  took me to Mary Jo's Cloth Store in  Gastonia, NC that I found what I wanted.  And I should have because Mary Jo's is a fabric lovers dream...32,000 square feet filled with all fabric imaginable!



So here is a close up of the back of the chairs



And I decided to trim the bottom of the skirt in a different fabric for contrast. Tone on tone polka dots! :-)



The finished chair in it's pretty graphic French script.



And now residing at the bunny table.
When I brought them into the kitchen I said to Mr Shabby, "Didn't these turn out pretty?"
He said, "Pretty pleasing."  After all these years he can still surprise me. LOL

Now the table top is next on the list for a re-do.  I have to get rid of those grooves as they are a pain to keep clean.
post signature

16 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

wow - good on you! - you did a terrific job! I really love them...and the fabric is, well, fab!

LuLu Kellogg said...

I am drooling over these chairs. They are Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

I love the fabric! You and Mr. Shabby did a fantastic job :)

Love,
LuLu!*xoxo

Hopemore Studio said...

Oh my goodness! What a dream that fabric is... and the pleating is gorgeous. It looks like kitchen project is all coming together, it has been a fun journey to take with you.

Angie

Marilyn said...

They are beautiful!! You did a fabulous job & I love the fabric!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Can't tell you how much i LOVE that fabric and what you did with it!!! Just gorgeous...totally worth the wait!

Melody said...

Oh La La!

Susan said...

Wow, Gail, your chairs turned out fabulous! Love that fabric.
Susan

slommler said...

What fabulous chairs!! They turned out wonderfully! The fabric is perfect!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Karen and Stan McConnell said...

Gail, The chairs turned out even better than I pictured. The trim is perfect, keeps it from being too frilly! You have a wonderful eye.
Karen

Lynn said...

Loving the chairs Gail....

Kristin said...

Oh, Wow! Great job on giving new life to those finds. I love the fancy script!

Ana Gonzalez said...

Great work!!

Marie said...

perfect!

The Feathered Nest said...

Ohmygoodness Gail!!!! This is an amazing transformation, they are just gorgeous! You are one talented girl....wishing you a wonderful day, hugs and love, Dawn

Diana Meade said...

Love, love, love everything about these chairs! Great job and good eye on putting it all together.

Lori Katies Rose Cottage said...

Oh my gosh ~ I love those chairs !! I adore that fabric !
xoxo
Lori