Sunday, February 14, 2010

Studio Shenanigans

Combine an inadequate old oil heater vent and the fact that most all our wind comes out of the south to shake, rattle and roll my studio windows, my studio is the coldest room in the house.  A fact I have mentioned...ahem..a couple times to Mr. Shabby.  His only suggestion is to put a stand alone heater in there which I have resisted on all but the coldest days.  Why you ask?  Well not only is my studio the coldest but it is the smallest (aside from our miniature bathroom).  To add one more "thing" to take up the minimal space I have and to walk around was simply more than I could bear.
But Mrs. Shabby figured it out.  All by herself.  My sister told me I was very clever.  I of course replied, "hmm, maybe". ;-)  LOL  My computer room and studio are separated by a door and the computer room has a gas wall heater so it is nice and cozy.  So what do you do when you need a door on your studio to keep the animals out but it also keeps the heat out? 
Why you do this....


...replace the old wood door with a wonderfully shabby old screen door  you have in the basement!
And the past three mornings my studio has been wonderfully cozy and comfortable.
No more trying to work with icicle fingers!

I also recently got a new toy for my studio.  I tried to talk myself out of it.  I had all kind of reasons as to why I didn't need it.  But who listens to me anyway?  And I placed the order.
Then I cleared a spot on my worktable

Shipping was incredibly fast and I only had to wait three days before these arrived


Nope.  I already have a sewing machine.  Guess again.  Ok, ok you'll never guess :-)

It's an Embellishing Machine aka Needle Felting machine.
What is is you ask?  Well yes, it looks like a sewing machine but what this baby does is mesh  fibers, fabrics, yarns, and more with the up and down movement of 5 barbed needles.  Just as in manual needle felting only with power.  Here is a close up of the needles. 
 

Sorry for the blur I only had my little camera handy.
So that's my new toy and I'm having so much fun with it as I experiment with different fabrics and learn what it will work with and what it doesn't like.

I had studio time this weekend.  I"m working on trying to get everything done during the week so my weekends afford more time in the studio.  Wish me luck.
This is what came out of that session.

A little something romantic for Valentines





I created the Bustier and the fabric beads with my new toy and a pinch of free motion embroidery. :-)  I covered the canvas in a patchwork creation of fabric.

I hope you like it.
.


post signature

13 comments:

Kathy said...

oh la la, this is fantastic Gail, I love it. Pssst....you need to do sidebars for blogs....this one is stunning, no, more than stunning!!!!!!

LuLu Kellogg said...

Oh Gail...this is beautiful! I love the new toy. I have a brand new sewing maching but I don't even know how to sew yet but can't wait to learn. I have to learn how to thread the thing first :)

Happy Heart Day Sweetie,
Love,
LuLu♥

slommler said...

I love it!! I got my machine this past week and I have been playing as well. It is such fun. Though I did break my first set of needles. Oops!
LOL!
Hugs
SueAnn

Lori Katies Rose Cottage said...

Wow what a cool new toy !! I love what you created with it too ~
xoxo
Lori

Diane said...

How pretty, Gail! Love the camisole!
And we have screen doors to our bedroom AND my studio because "Sweetie", our cat, is not allowed in our bedroom at night or in the studio when I'm not in there but she likes to be able to see us. She is like a bowling ball weight in the bed and we get NO sleep. In the studio...there are always dangerous things she shouldn't get into! But I do have a comfy chair with a crocheted blanket and she curls up on it when I'm in there. It's a perfect solution! Yours looks SO pretty!!!
Diane

Sherry Goodloe said...

This is just GORGEOUS!!

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

That is just beautiful!

I've never fully understood what needle felting is LOL - and I had no idea there was a machinen for it.

looks like fun!

phoebe said...

Congrats on your new toy! It sure looks like you're going to have alot of fun with it--I like the fibre/fabric collage you made!

Createology said...

I adore your corset mixed media. What a great gift you gave yourself. Keep creating...

Hopemore Studio said...

Gail you are a genius!! The screen door is such a perfect solution and so fitting for your decor. I can just see the animals sitting at the door watching you create.

I had no idea you could get felting needles for sewing machines, but then again most of my sewing is still done my hand so I guess I'm not surprised I didn't know about them. I can't wait to see what else you learn and what you can make.

Angie

MaryAnn said...

Gail this is great! I love it.

Nita Jo said...

Beautiful creation with your new machine, and I love the screen door! What a great fix for your cold room!

Lisa said...

what a beautiful piece..love it!!! You new machine looks fabulous..what an awesome tool... i bet the $$ you're going to save from buying those individual felting needles will pay for the machine in no time.