Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Love Fabric

I do.  Love it.  The patterns, texture, the color, the feel of it in my hand, the way it can be manipulated and on and on.  I collected fabric even when I didn't know exactly what I would do with it.  I folded it and put in the cupboard.  And now finally I've taken all the fabric out of the cupboard and moved it into my studio as I watch my journey unfold and take me down this fabric path I never envisioned. 

It started I think this past summer when I took some classes from my sweet friend JoAnna of Moss Hill Studio.  Then it picked up speed after joining KC Willis at her Collage Camp.  I found myself less afraid of working with fabric, realizing I could manipulate it in ways I hadn't been sure about.  Feeling looser with it.  Un-intimidated.  And so I play with it and try this and that.  Some things work, some don't, it's all good.  Because if you don't make mistakes and fail at some things however will you succeed at others.  We learn by our mistakes is my philosophy. 

And although I have done my best to avoid it, later, when the weather stays warmer longer I have decided I will  set up a dye station on the back porch and learn about dyeing fabrics.  I didn't want to, didn't need another learning curve, but the colors I see people achieve with hand dying have seduced me.

Here is my latest work.  What I find interesting is that no where on this Composition Notebook Journal is there a vintage image of a pretty girl.   Unusual for me.  :-)  But I love the way this turned out..  I am playing with free machine embroidery and simply doodled with it and feel it is playful and looser than my normal style. 


I have it now listed in my Etsy store.
Happy Wednesday!

post signature

8 comments:

Sherry Goodloe said...

Your composition book is just lovely!

Lovey said...

HI GAIL!!, I love your newest creation with fabric. I too am loving fabric...the feel, the texture...the manipulation of it! KC really did open this medium up to all of us who joined collage camp! I feel yah! Come on over to my blog and see what else you can do with fabric. I've just dicovered in my playing with fabric and beeswax a beautiful relationship with one another! Let me know what you think.
Smiles and Hugs and Lovey

littlethings1 said...

I love it ! I love fabric too , always have , your journal turned out just perfect !
Eunice
The Little Things

Marilyn said...

Absolutely lovely!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

slommler said...

Beautiful pieces!! I <3 fabric as well! I have tons and tons and play with it all the time. I haven't gone to dying yet but I am sure there will come a time!! LOL!! Enjoy your playtime and post pics!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Diva Kreszl said...

love what you've done! I took a fabric dying couse a few years ago and loved it!

Createology said...

Wonderful fabric work you are doing. I too love fabric and always have. Happy creating...

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans said...

Love that Gail, good job.