Thursday, April 1, 2010

Another Shabby Cottage

I really need to get out of the house more.  I have found that when your business is online and you live in a small rural community without a lot going on, that it is way to easy to fall into a pattern of staying home, never going anywhere except maybe the grocery store.  I find myself either in front of the computer.  Or in the studio...but usually the computer.  Now, don't get me wrong, either is fine.  But when it becomes your only life then maybe one should rethink this. Of course as I said there isn't much going on around here in the way of meeting other people who have the same artsy/creative interests as myself.  Who knew it would be so hard to meet and make friends at this stage of ones life.  But then you do have to get out of the house first right?

So here is my new venture.  TAA-DAAH .....Shabby Cottage!  Oh you thought I had already started that venture?  Well yes of course there is Shabby Cottage Studio the store.  And Shabby Cottage Studio the blog and Shabby Cottage Studio the Etsy store.  BUT!   This is the Shabby Cottage, inside the Corner Nest Antique Mall about 30 minutes from where we live. 
I'll share pictures as we build it.

The space is about 10 x 12 and on the end of an aisle.  I liked it because I don't have to worry about lighting as we are surrounded by huge old windows.  This is a two story old brick building that used to be a Chevy dealership and auto repair, many, many moons ago.  The upstairs where we are used to be the auto repair area and as I said filled with huge windows.

Here is what we got accomplished yesterday.


Since it is an open space we needed to construct our own walls.
What I love is that we had everything to construct our walls and all I had to purchase was the fabric.  Here is what made me really happy...I was going to buy muslin.  Dye it pink.  Tea stain it.  And hope it all turned out okay since I don't know enough about dying yet.  And all that was probably going to run me about $50-$60 (that's a 10' wall).  Blech.  But while I was looking at the muslin I decide to look around and found this pink fabric for $2 a yard!!!  The exact shade of shabby pink I could only hope for if I did my dying thing.  My little heart was thrilled!   

Mr Shabby's handiwork.



There will be pockets on these shutters that will hold my tags, maybe some cards.  Andyou can see a bit of one of  the many windows I mentioned.  Lighting is so important to me so I was very happy with this spot as I don't have access to electricity for lamps.


Am I crazy?  Maybe.  But like I said, I need to get out of the house more and this should get me there. Hopefully make us a little money on the side that is much needed these days. We'll see how it goes over the next 6 months and then re-evaluate.  :-)  And for now I will have fun decorating.  I'm off to help Mr. Shabby load a sideboard into the truck to take to Shabby Cottge.

Happy Thursday Sweet Friends and

post signature

14 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

Your space looks just wonderful! I love the way Mr.Shabby used the doors as walls - especially the screen doors. It makes the space look so interesting.

I look forward to seeing new additions!

Best of luck with your new endeavor!

slommler said...

Wow Gail!!! It is going to be fabulous...I like it!! That pink is a wonderful shade and using the doors is genius!! Love how you are setting up the space too.
I hear ya about not getting out...same here! I work in my studio and check on the computer! So I have been trying to get out more too. See the world!!! Experience life beyond these walls!
So far...so good!
Congrats hun!!!
Enjoy!
Hugs
SueAnn

laura venosa dellaporta said...

Looking adorable so far Ms Shabby Cottage.. knowing you you will make it so fab!!!
xoxoo Verbena Girl

Diva Kreszl said...

your space is looking darling already! please do show us it when you're done and best of luck on this new venture :)

thewillowsnest said...

Hi there Gail.. thanks for your visit.. I'm glad you enjoyed my 'naked soul ' post hehe,,.. good on you for getting out with your new venture.. it should be a lot of fun!!! Good luck.. I love the doors!
Cheers .. Helen

Leone said...

Wish I could visit your shabby cottage. It sounds like such a fun project. Good luck!!

Vickie said...

This is just wonderful and how inviting it will be. People will just be drawn in by the creativity!

Dezinaworld said...

What a fabulous and exciting new project. It will be so lovely watching it grow. love the pink material you found
hugs June xxxxxx

Gypsy Purple said...

I wish you a happy and blessed Easter! xx Gypsy Purple

CEDAR JUNCTION said...

Your new venture looks especially lovely so far. I can't wait to see it after you have merchandised it. I bet it will become one of the favorite spots in this shop.

Smiles,
Teresa

kecia said...

gail - what a fun adventure! your booth looks amazing and if i was in there shopping - it would catch mine eye in a second flat! you did a great job - love the colors, the doors - all of it! good luck and keep us posted with final pics of the booth.
xoxo,
kecia

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

I aDOOR what you did with the doors!!! Totally brilliant!!!
xoxo,
Kristin

Trishia said...

Congratulations on your new venture, Gail! I know I need to get out of the house more, too, but ... sometimes it's SO nice to enjoy the nest:)

Pamela Stanley said...

I love the old doors!!!!! That sounds exciting!!!