Thursday, July 8, 2010

Me and the Camera



Long, long ago and far, far away there was a young woman who had a love affair with a camera. She took it everywhere with her to record the world around her. And then as affairs so often do, the passion slowly dissipated and finally disappeared.

Now as a much much older woman, closer to her twilight years than she likes to contemplate, I wander, stumble and fall over blogs with such wonderful pictorial records of the life around that particular blogger.  And it makes me wish I still had the camera passion that as a young woman I once had.  I know people who carry their camera around as though it is a body part.  And I can barely remember I have a camera somtimes.  It makes me wonder what happened...and why.

I can not use the excuse...oh well I don't go anywhere, nothing exciting happens to me.  Because when you turn your macro on a flower and capture the close up beauty of flower stamens or a bee happily doing the nectar dance, that photograph is interesting and powerful.  In fact simple photos often carry the most impact. 

So lately I have been trying to remember to pick up the camera, aim and shoot.  And here are some of the images I've captured lately.  Simple, but all part of my life.


A 4th of July trip to Raleigh and the Farmers Market is always good for a few photos.

My usual love of flowers prompted these photos

I am not a big watermelon person but the watermelon we tasted was outstanding!
We left the Market with peaches, corn and an appetite!


Speaking of eating.  Last night we did shrimp on the barbee. ;-)
I marinated the shrimp in Good Seasons Italian dressing, threw in some tender yellow squash fresh picked from our garden....


added a salad and a toasted tortilla and dinner was scrumptious and in the heat wave so many of us are experiencing, it was marvelous to not heat up the kitchen.

I've been spending a lot of time cleaning all the textiles I brought back from our Atlanta trip.

I loved seeing the breeze come along to make the fabric sway and dance.
A lot of work...


But so worth it in the end!


While we were in Raleigh we of course went to the Flea Market but we really didn't need to because I didn't find anything to excite me, and when we got back to Liz's house she took me out to her little barn, and I discovered I could have done all my shopping there!


I have lots of do-over plans for these treasures!  And by the way, does anyone know if  that desk in the bottom pictures has a particular name?  I've had one before that I re-did and I love the style of it but have always wondered if that style had a name.

So there you have it.  Pictures of some small events that make up my simple and rural life.  Maybe I can get better at remembering the camera again.


post signature

2 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

I love the Farmer's Market in Raleigh. They have the most wonderful things!

I bet the things you had on the line smell so good. I love drying things outside!

LuLu♥

CEDAR JUNCTION said...

You silly, silly girl! You are very far from the twilight years! You have to be, because I am right behind you! LOL

Love your pics!
Teresa