Thursday, July 22, 2010

Two New Designs & a Window



These are my two new large format designs, Violetta and Birdcage.  Thanks to both French Kissed and the Graphics Fairy for images.  They are available as digital downloads in both the online store Shabby Cottage Studio and my Etsy store aka Shabby Cottage Studio.

Finally, finally we got the last window installed downstairs.  When we redid the downstairs windows we didn't replace the one in the dining room because at the time we had figured that would be french doors leading out to a future deck.  But you know plans change and we decided the hopefully next year deck would be better in a different spot.


My home is difficult at best to photograph the interior on this side of the house and this is the what I usually get. Bleh.   And those old windows made everything even worse.  Always dark looking in this room and this is a sunny day!


Ok, NOW we're getting somewhere!

Just look at THAT light BAY-bee!!!
Whoo Hoo!
Hopefully this fall we can get working on my plan to repaint in here and next spring a new floor.  This one is just a faux floor and rug I painted over the eee-yuck linoleum that came with this old house.



Yep, this is a picture of a wall.   I happened to turn around this morning and for once the light in the computer room allowed me to take a photo where I actually could see the color of the wall.  (The screen door leads into my studio and the other door the living room)  The walls in this room are a favorite of mine.  From the chair rail up I did a wonderful textured faux finish using several texture products.   Once all the textures were applied I applied a two color glaze...blue on the top and a burnt sienna on the bottom, then wash the colors toward the middle where they blend to make yet another color.  Then wash a little of each glaze color on top of the other randomly.  It was a lot of hard work but so worth it because when you see it in person it is beautiful.  Since this is the room where I spend most of my time running a business it was important to me that it was restful and looked good. 

So this has been a good week...a new window and the first tomato out of the garden.  I always say it's the little things that make you happy.  And I am.  Happy. :-)
I hope you are having a happy week also my wonderful peeps!
post signature

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

DH & DD & I put in new windows this year....The whole house!! Now I DO NOT want to put up curtains or shades because I just love my old windows!! LOL!!
Love your post!!
Have a Wonderful Day!!
Love,
Marilyn

Dorthe said...

Dear Gail,
your Violetta ,is so beautifull, love her and how you made her live,with the different layers,gorgeus.
And congratulations with the new window, I so understand the joy of being able ,to get light inside the room.
Many hugs, Dorthe

Hopemore Studio said...

Wow I had no idea new windows could make that big of a difference, so impressed! Your house really is coming along now.

Love your latest designs, the first looks like a beautiful transparency collage.

Angie

slommler said...

That wall color is amazing!! I love it! And the new window is spectacular! Such light..woohoo!! I am happy for you!!
And to top it all...the first tomato!! wowzers!!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Diane said...

Gail, we replaced 2 doors in our house with screen doors too. The one to my studio and our bedroom. I have a lace curtain tied back on the bedroom door for privacy to close if we have company. But I love having the screen doors in this small house. Solid closed doors...too claustrophobic.
Love what you've done!
Diane

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

What a great post....we are in an old turn of the century Craftsman bungalow and all we do is work on this and then work on that...I do not believe we will ever be through and we are not getting any younger, either!

So happy I meet you....I, too am in Etsy Cottage St yle and go by both Jil and Adrianna which I know is confusing!

I love all the altered art and paper arts, but I just do not know where to start. lol! I keep buying things, but fabric and paint is where I am most comfortable. Maybe with the long winter days and evenings, I will get brave and give it a try....I do love it.
Jil