Friday, October 8, 2010

Meanderings & New Tutorial

 I adore movies.  As a child I grew up on movies and I have many happy memories of my mother driving my little sister and I to a nearby theatre and dropping us off, only to pickup us up after the movie.  I also remember summers spent at my Aunt's home and walking with my cousin a few blocks downtown to one of the two movie houses in the town I was born in, but didn't grow up in, and spending a wonderful couple hours wrapped in the magic of the big screen.

Living as rural as we do now I can only say thank goodness for satellite and movies on demand.  Even now, a long way down the road past childhood, the idea of watching a movie is a huge warm, comforting feeling  of escape for me.  I think I sometimes bodily leave my chair and step into the screen.   I even watch the credits!  And I admit, I immerse myself, so I am of the type of movie watcher who will gently and politely shush you if you try to carry on any conversation other than what we may be watching on the screen.  Time enough for other discussions later.  After the movie. ;-)

Living on a budget doesn't always allow me the access to as many movies as I would like...but this week I got to watch TWO because one was on television and didn't cost me a thing.



Mr. Dreamy himself, Russell Crow, was looking pretty darn hot good in tight leather nicely fitted trousers.  Russell was one of the producers of this flick and he and director Ridley Scott put chase to your typical overdone Robin Hood story.  For one thing, King Richard is killed off in the beginning of the story.  And Cate Blanchett as Marian is certainly not your typical Marian.  Without giving anything away I guess the best I can do to describe this verison is to liken it to a kind of backstory as to how Robin became Robin Hood. 


I remember when this movie came out in 2004 and thinking I would like to see it.  But it never happened until it was on t.v. the other night and I decided to stay up late to watch it.  All I can say is it was okay.  The most interesting thing I found about the movie was that, like the Robin Hood story above, this version was not your typical King Arthur story.  It actually took place about 1000 years before the other stories of Arthur and Arthur is a Roman cavalry officer during the end of the Roman occupation in 467 A.D.  And yes, there is a round table, loyal knights, a Guinevere (who is of the people known as Woads and led by Merlin),  and Lancelot...who does not have an affair with Guinevere.  I did enjoy it not being your typical Arthur story.

Some of you have asked about Minny and I wanted to let you know that Miss Minny became part of our family about a month ago and is still adapting to becoming an indoor kitty.  I am happy to report that she has filled out and while still lean, she is no longer a starving kitty and she finished all her shots yesterday.  We discovered she is older than we thought.  The vet said maybe a year and a half.
She and Gracie both love the window behind the printer so now they have their own towel and take turns sleeping there and watching birdies in the tree.  Speaking of Gracie they have made great strides and have even shared some nose touching.  But Gracie still likes to hiss at Minny to put her in her place.  Funny thing is, Minny refuses to be put in that place. LOL 
I'm working very hard at getting Minny more socialized.  She knows her new name but absolutely refuses yet to come to it or even look to see who might be calling her name.
But you couldn't ask for a more sweet natured cat.
Sorry for the little blur but I thought this face was so funny I wanted to share.
And this one cracks me up.  Like a little kid you have annoyingly coerced into smiling and they give you a dorky fake smile just to get rid of you.

Cindy Adkins hosts a challenge each month called Creative Spirit Challenge today.  She provides an item she created and then the challenge is to see your creations.  This month she created this adorable Halloween spool and wrote a tutorial for our Inspiration Gallery.  This is a quick and easy project and would be wonderful as door prizes for your Halloween party, or scatter them about the party buffet!


So hop on over to the the Inspiration Gallery and check it out!

I hope everyone has a marvelous Fall weekend planned.
Toodleloo my wonderful bloggy friends!
post signature

6 comments:

Linda M. said...

Good Morning Gail,
Movie reviews, kitty updates, creative challenge links, and a crafty tutorial. Refreshing, enjoyable, fun, inspiring. Thanks! Have a wonderful day.

Rosanna Pereyra said...

Hi Gail,
Thanks for always sharing so many wonderful ideas and projects. I also do the movie night thing every weekend with the hubby and kids, we rent the $1 movies from the local publix and cook u some snack. Keep up the great work I always love to see what you have going on. Also, I love the Inspiration Gallery!!

Hugs
Rosanna

Riki Schumacher said...

Hi Gail, glad I found your sweet blog. Love the stories about the movies, I'm the same way...LOVE them. I thought Robin Hood was just too darn violent, and no real love scenes, phooy! Oh well. Sweet story about your kitty, that's great you rescued her. Take care! Riki

Lorraine @ creativedaily said...

I so appreciate your comments about movies Gail. Like you I grew up going to movies on the weekends with my girlfriends and watching "oldies" on television. Interestingly, we watched Robin Hood several weeks ago and saw King Arthur sometime back. I really like the old musicals like Showboat! Isn't satellite fabulous!

Linda said...

Hi! Just hopped over from Cindy Adkins Whimsical Musings...I am a new follower!

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Gail,
It truly is amazing how movies become part of our memories, isn't it? I used to love The Little Princess with Shirley Temple!! And Pollyanna, and Gidget--those were my 3 favorites!
And love your new kitty!!!
XO
CIndy