Thursday, November 11, 2010

Another Week of Creating

I want to tell you something before I share my pictures.  Your comments mean the world to me.  When you work at home all day, every day, alone with no interaction with co-workers, no arty friends who understand, those comments reach deep into my soul and soothe me.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

As we've slowly been getting my new computer up and running I've had some more time at the worktable while waiting for "computer stuff" to get done by Mr. Shabby.  Here's what I came up with this week

My friend Jen from The Shabby Paris Market (go check out her site) got me all motivated a couple weeks ago.  I had heard many times about doing transfers with CitraSolv and wanted to give it a try,  but when I couldn't find it locally I kept putting off ordering the stuff online.  And then of course it fell off the end of my brain into oblivion.  But one day recently, while perusing Facebook, I saw an item Jen had done using the transfer technique and it reminded me again that I wanted to try it, and Bingo, I went right then and ordered the CitraSolv.  I love this technique!  So simple and fun!  I don't like the too strong orange smell of the cleaner but I've been doing it in front of an open window to help clear out the overpowering smell of orange.  They also sell it in lavender.  I love that smell and I'm wondering if it would be any better than the orange.  Nah...proably just as overpowering.

Here is a simple canvas tote I altered with some vintage lace and and then used the transfer technique on some fabric ticking, added some buttons, some striped ribbon to the handle and I think it turned out
tres cute.


This wall shelf was an ugly brown grey that I transformed with some cream paint and glaze. Then for added interest, and because I love this ticking so much, I used it along with the CitraSolv transfer technique and voila! Not so ugly anymore.

I was so enamored of the technique used on the bottles in my last post I decided to try it on something else. 


This was a plain white small wooden bowl/box with a lid that needed something something.

If you've been to either of my stores you know I sell large single format images as digital downloads.  I had a couple frames that were brown ugly plastic, the kind you find at yard sales for maybe 50 cents because they're so ugly no one wants them.  Well...no one but people like me that is...and you...and you all know who you are.


But a little paint goes a long way toward making the ugly acceptable.
 I printed my Grunged Pink Rose on paper and put it in the frame above.


And for this frame I printed my Paris Postcard
So for not a lot of money look how easy it is
  go from ugly duckling to  swan. :-)

I hope you liked my show and tell.  There is a big open house weekend at the Corner Nest Dec. 4 & 5 and so these goodies will make their way down to my space.  I have to get there also to get a little (and I do mean little) Holiday decorating done for the event.  This is my first year there and apparently they put on a big food spread, have lots of door prizes and sales.  Hoo Haa I think I must needs go shopping that weekend.

Later my lovlies, I hope every single one of you have a wonderful weekend planned!

post signature

13 comments:

Wax Beach Artist said...

I can totally relate to the whole being home alone all day creating with no artsy friends around. My husband, God Bless him, knows nothing about art. He is learning tho..mostly because he comes around and touches stuff that needs to be left alone! He gets a good lesson after that.

Blogging has changed my life and I thank you for all that you have shown me. I hope to take one of your classes after Christmas and I want you to know I love your work and I think you are very talented!

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Yes I know the feeling well too!!
I like the new way of transferring images so I'll go over to Shabby Images for a looksee too!
Have a great time at Corner Nest Gail and take care.
hugs
Shane x

Boom said...

Wow....I was going to leave the comment for Gail that I totally understand being home alone; and then I read the above from 'wax beach artist' and I so related to the husband touchie thing and I didn't feel alone for a bit.

Vickie said...

Well I don't stay home all day, I do understand about the comments. I wish I wasn't so busy lately as I need to pay more attention to my blog. I love what you did with that technique! I've never heard of it before. Not sure I could take the smell though. I may have to check it out anyway.

Lorraine @ creativedaily said...

You have been busy Gail! Love the creations. Obviously time away from the computer has been good in some ways!

Diane said...

Wow, Gail, these turned out beautiful! And isn't finding a new technique great! I have never heard of this before.

I know what you mean about feeling isolated from creative friends. Mine are all in blogland. :-( I live in a very rural area away from supplies and great shops too. So blogging has been like a whole new world of friendships and kindred spirits for me and I love it!

Hugs,
Diane

Jessica said...

Gorgeous work! Now I want to pick up a bottle of CitraSolv and give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Gail,
Hi, I'm from Citra Solv - and we are glad you finally got that bottle ordered. Your shabby creations are terrific!!! We would love to be able to learn a little more about you. If you get a chance, please drop us an email at mzeitler@citrasolv.com.
Thanks again for giving the transfers a try - not shabby at all:) Hope to hear from you, Melissa and the Citra Solv gang

Gypsy Purple said...

Totally love that bag!!!

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, Gail--I am totally enthralled...everything is gorgeous---amazing!! You may be home, but you weave miracles!!!
XO

Kathy said...

"Simple canvas tote".....silly, silly Gail. that is one fabulous tote. love the white on white....always do!
I have never tried a transfer, you so have me intrigued.
xo

The French Bear said...

Beautiful!!! How I love to learn new things...but I am also happy to see wonderful things another talented artist can create!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Summer said...

I LOVE your canvas tote! I clicked over because of it, and I think it's beautiful. It's like a cross b/w lingerie and tote. LOVELY! Thanks for sharing all your beautiful projects.