Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Writing On the Floor

You've heard the saying "the writing on the wall." 
 This is a message I actually did write on the floor. :-)
Let me explain. 
We are putting in new flooring in the dining room.  When we moved in the floor was a really ugly linoleum that I knew would be difficult to live with until we could afford flooring sometime in the way distant future.  And now, eight years later that future is here.

In the meantime I faux painted a hardwood floor and rug on the linoleum and it has served us well in the interim.


As we were nearing the end of the new floor Mr Shabby and I were talking about what might happen 100 years from now if someone tore up this flooring only to discover the painted one beneath. 

We decided it would be fun to write the future owners a note...just in case they ever do decide to tear up this one.  Fun huh?  We thought so.


So I got out my trusty black marker and wrote the note. :-)
I guess I have home on my mind because yesterday I finished this banner for the
Shabby Cottage at the Corner Nest.





If you like the banner pennants I have now added this design to the online store.  You will receive two sheets or two digital downloads.  Each sheet has two designs for a total of  the four different pennants you see here, ready for you to create your own banner.
You can find the French Ephemera Banner either as a digital download or printed sheets that will be shipped to you.

Here's wishing you a Happy Tuesday lovely bloggers!

post signature

7 comments:

Susan said...

What a wonderful idea to write on your floor and document the past!
Susan

Rhonda said...

Awe, Gail, that note was priceless. I have found some interesting items in old closets - so if anyone in 100 years down the road finds your note, won't that be great?

Loving your banner, your talent is so inspiring.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

What a sweet idea, leaving the note! You did a beautiful job painting the floor, too. And the banner? Love it!

Catherine Denton said...

Oh my gosh, I love your painted floor!! (And your new one too) What fun the future owners will have when they find that note!

I've thought about painting our entry way floor. Do you mind me asking how you kept it from getting scuffed?
My Blog

Lorraine @ creativedaily said...

Fantastic idea writing on the floor! DH is in renovations and it is amazing what turns up once walls are ripped apart. Interesting to ponder what the person(s) who read your note will think!!??

Paula said...

I think that is a wonderful idea. I own a historic home that we are restoring little by little. I would LOVE to find a note like that hidden under wall coverings or floor coverings. I may have to write a note of my own when we redo the kitchen floor later this year. Thanks for the inspiration!

Paula
www.paulasserendipity.blogspot.com

LuLu Kellogg said...

Now that was one cool idea!

I am loving the banner Gail....it's beautiful!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo