Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I'm Thinking of Moving

                                                                                                       photo courtesy salihan

Yes, I really am thinking about moving.
My blog. ;)
I've been with Blogger now since 2006 and I think it was fun while it lasted but there comes a time when you have to move on and I may have reached my time. I am still thinking, but it's feeling like the thing to do more and more. 

While I have always appreciated the fact that Blogger is a free site and affords us tremendous design capabilities, it still has some limitations that don't allow me to do  some of the things I would like to do and have it look the way I want it to look.  Then there is this: for thepast year Blogger has just been giving me fits with formatting and spacing issues.  And I don't like the fact that if I have a problem I have no one to turn to for technical support.

But I think it all came to a head while working on the Artful Gathering site.
When it takes 2-3 hours to add and format text that should take 20 minutes I have to stop and ask, what's wrong with this picture? Then we found a new site and a new home for Artful Gathering and what a delight to work with!  And I actually got technical suupport.  And they answered me often within minutes! I couldn't help but think, how cool is that!

My only concern is that the new site does not have a "follow" button!  They have RSS reader service and apparently I can add something called Google reader.  I am on the horns of a dilemma.  I have now over 500 followers and I don't want to lose my friends! 
I'm thinking I would leave this blog up and put a big old moved sign with a link.

*sigh*
nothing is easy anymore.
xoxo
Gail

11 comments:

Leslie said...

I 'follow' you using Google Reader. It's a very simple, efficient blog management tool that puts all the posts of your 'subscribed to' blogs in one spot. Love it.

Catherine Denton said...

I think the sign with the link is perfect. It'll help those who come by late to find you. I've followed several blogs that way to their new sites.

And I have Google Reader just so I can follow people whether they're using Blogger or another site.

LuLu Kellogg said...

I am not really loving Blogger right now but I too am afraid of loosing readers if I switch...*sigh*

Hope your weather is not too horrid!

We are under severe weather here right now so I better wrap this up before the power blows!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Rhonda said...

Oh Gail, I feel your pain. But you've got to know we would follow you wherever you go. It might be a little tricky at first but I think you've made the right decision.

3 hours to format? Come on now. Everything you've said is true. My formatting doesn't take that long but blogger sure does scare me from time to time.

Just yesterday it told me on my dashboard I didn't follow any blogs and there was not one blog in my reading window. I gasped, signed back in and they you all were. Scary.

Good Luck with your transition - I know I will be right there with you.

1CardCreator said...

If it's any consolation to you that thing called Google Reader is a most awesome tool. I follow everyone with it now. Before I used Reader, I would visit all my pals every day whether they posted or not, a lot of wasted time when there was no new post. With reader I can categorize all the blogs I follow, like challenges and friends and freebies too. Now when you write a new post I know about it and I can come see what you have. The only drawback to the followers button is that it is rewarding to see how many people actually follow you. If you subscribe to yourself in Reader, and you should it will tell you how many people subscribe to your posts there. I hope this helps. ~Diane

Diana said...

I follow you and a ton of other blogs and site on Google Reader and it works fine. Really. You do have to affirmatively go pull up Reader to see what you're following - it doesn't come to your inbox or pop up automatically somewhere, but that's a minor nit. Fear not - we can handle it!

Dotti said...

I just wanted to let you know that I used to go to my blogger dashboard and read all the blogs I follow. That was taking too much time...so I now follow everything in Google Reader!

In Google Reader you can read ANY blog...not just those that have the Follow With Google Friend Connect Button! It is so much faster.

All your followers have to do is establish a google account...or gmail acount if they don't already have one. When they click on reader, they will find a list of all the blogs they follow thru google. They can also add more URLs from any blog.

Think about doing a blog post to let your followers know about this!

dottididit(at)gmail(dot)com
http://piecefulmusings.blogspot.com

Charmingdesigns said...

Hi Gail, here is my two cents worth. Everyone I know that has a blog business uses typepad for its effeciancy. Google reader is easy. Just have a post with a link...we will find you in your new "home"

suziqu's thread works said...

Yes Gail - do not fear we will follow you wherever you are. I don't use Google reader but this will give me a good reason to use it - you might just have to give us a few guidelines and tell us how to follow you!
You have to take the easiest path with the least resistance.
Big Hugs,
Suzy

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Oh Suzi, I am a HUGE fan of the path of least resistance! LOL Thank you dear! ♥♥♥

Linda M. said...

Hi Gail, I will follow you where ever you may go, there isn't a mountain... I do use Google reader too. Keep us informed. XO, Linda