Thursday, June 2, 2011

Change


Yep that is me, right here, right now.
You know I don't usually revert to my blog to complain but I need a moment. 

I think I am feeling my age.  It seems there is something in the air, and while it has been there for quite some time, here lately it seems even worse. Like a bad smell gone overly bad. Since I did recently have a birthday  I keep telling myself it's not worse, it's just me.  Getting old. 

What ARE you talking about Gail you might ask.  I'm talking about technology and change.  Everywhere I go these days I am confronted by change I don't want and don't even like. 

Now I don't mind change when it truly helps me and makes my life easier, or better or more enriched.  But not all change is necessarily good is it?

I used to like Google.  I still depend on Google to be my search engine...you can't beat it.  But I really don't want Google taking over the internet as they seem wont to do lately.  I can no longer get into any of my blogs easily and have to go about it in a convoluted manner because Google wants to connect all of me and my accounts to Google.  Whether I want to be connected or not. 

So I mentioned in an earlier post that I was thinking about this and I have made up my mind.  I am moving my blog.  I will keep you updated.  I am still working on the new one.  And I will gladly tell Google to keep their nose out of it.

I used to like Etsy.  But every time they make a change over there it simply makes more work for me.  Now I don't mind work.  I am an extremely hard worker and put in many, many hours working my businesses.  But I believe in working smarter not harder.  Because eventually I run out of hours in the day to get everything done.

If you present me with a change that allows me to do less clicking, less scrolling, less writing, less figuring things out, less key tapping, less anything...hey, I'm all for it! But when I have to do more of all this I cry foul! 

So I'm thinking about closing my Etsy store. Because when is to much, to much? It's  hard enough without these online companies constantly changing things.  And every time a company says...Hey Guess What! we've made a change to make things better, they are not usually changes for the better for me...simply changes that make what I do take longer. 

I don't hate technology, technology does help me run my businesses.  But hey, technology we don't need changes every few nanoseconds. Give me less steps not more! 

Okay lovlies thank you for the moment and your ear.  I feel better. 
Now I have to get back to work
because I hear someone else making a change I probably won't like either. ;-)


post signature

13 comments:

Sherry Smyth said...

Exactly how I've been feeling!!! I don't think it's so much our age as we just don't want to be taken advantage of by technology. If it ain't broke...why are you fixing it?? As for Google...I too am ready to say "adios"!

Crafty Gal Linda said...

I hear you sister! I love technology but sometimes it seems that it makes things harder instead of easier. I am having similar issues with typepad. I opened an account so I can comment on friends typepad blogs but lately it won't let me. It wants me to go through facebook to connect with typepad and I have been unable to leave comments. ARGH! I have fb but I don't want to connect to blogs with my fb account. So annoying! Hang in there!

goddessandmagick said...

I hear you !! I m not well in technology , like my teenagers kids. Is hard to learn it, and to keep up is not fun! I like weebly.com you should try it . Is free , blogs and website, try it. I start to do my, and haven' finish it, you can sell as well on weebly!!! You can see my. hugs Andrea.

WindandHoney said...

I'm right there with you. I'm in the process of moving my items from my etsy shops to my own website. It can't possibly be more work to promote than etsy has become.

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

Hear ya! They won't leave things alone!

CEDAR JUNCTION said...

Something weird has happened on my laptop when I try to work on my blogs. Some of the clickable buttons no longer work. Good thing I still have the desktop.

As far as Etsy, I think they only made the latest changes because they are copying what ArtFire has done. Little stinkers.

There has been so many times that this silly little computer has brought me to tears of frustration. If it weren't for the pleasure of connecting, I wouldn't even bother.

Good luck,
Teresa

Screaming Sardine said...

Gail -

I know exactly how you feel. You're definitely not alone, as you can see from the above comments. I hate that everything is connected. Even pinterest is connected to fb and twitter, which is annoying.

Over the weekend, I actually moved four of my blogs into one WP blog. I couldn't be happier. Hang in there.

Cheers,
Tracy Screaming Sardine

Charmingdesigns said...

Ok, so I'm not the only one frustrated! lol. Kinda makes you wonder where all this will be in a few years. ugh is right

It's Raining Jelly Beans said...

I too hate the connection of all these individually cool sites. I don't need my Etsy shoppers to know my political views. My Facebook friends don't need to know what MSBC articles I commented on. I certainly understand your feelings. Reminds of me of a recent convo I had with a friend who used to own a very very successful plastics company. My son squeezed a plastic water bottle- like from Dysani- and I commented on how noisy they are now that they have changed the plastic making it more environmentally friendly. My friend chuckled and said that they must have changed the regulation as to how thick a water bottle had to be for safety because all the companies changed at the same time and there is no way they did that for the environment. Egg on my face that I fell for the hype.

Rhonda said...

Blogger is STILL not working correctly for me, I'm not sure about others. It's free and don't we all know it, we do pay in the end with out frustration.

As far as Etsy, they keep changing and you have got to wonder, do they actually ever ask us if we like the change or need the change.

I agree with you, Gail, it gets old and we shouldn't have to spend hours trying to do simple tasks online.

Keep smiling and know we will all follow you wherever you are. :D

Kathy said...

Holy cow, these could be my words too....hahahahaha. Something is in the air, I just did a similar blog post.
Just know, we are with you Miss Gail....xo

She Uses Her Words said...

I agree with everything you've said. Why can't 'they' just leave things alone that work and fix what doesn't in a simple way? Craziness!
xo, Karen

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

Oh I am so with you on this, it really bugs me, I guess they think they are making it easier and more streamlined, and in some ways yes, but I recently wanted a seperate blog for a short term thingee, and yep, linked all round arrrrghh!!!
Lovely lace purse in your previous post, what a fabulous gift from Suzi..